As of Thursday, June 23
Patients hospitalized with COVID-19
- OHSU: 25
- Hillsboro Medical Center: 6
- OHSU Hospital and OHSU Health Hillsboro Medical Center hospitalization particulars:
- 10 Not Fully Vaccinated
- 11 Fully Vaccinated
- 10 Fully Vaccinated with Booster
- 0 de-isolated
- 31 infectious
- 8 Patients in ICU
- 3 Not Fully Vaccinated
- 2 Fully Vaccinated
- 3 Fully Vaccinated with Booster
- 5 Patients on a Ventilator
- 1 Not Fully Vaccinated
- 2 Fully Vaccinated
- 2 Fully Vaccinated with Booster
- Adventist Health Portland: 6
- Since Feb. 28, 2020, there have been 249,911 sufferers examined. Among these, a complete of 27,001 COVID-19 instances have been detected; 25 sufferers are presently in hospital; and 265 sufferers have assessments pending. There have been 188 in-hospital deaths.
- There have been 38 new detected affected person instances since June 22.
- To date, OHSU has accomplished 44,315 COVID-19 assessments for 13,874 employees and college students. Of these, 4,389 assessments for 3,590 employees and college students detected COVID-19; 39,502 assessments for 12,383 people resulted in not detected; 291 assessments are pending.
OHSU group vaccinations
- OHSU has administered 444,265 vaccine doses by way of its group vaccination websites, along with the 546,166 vaccine doses administered thus far by way of the Oregon Convention Center vaccination website, which was collectively managed by OHSU, Legacy Health, Kaiser Permanente and Providence Health & Services. (For extra details about group places and who’s eligible, see “Community COVID-19 vaccination sites” under.)
As the state’s tutorial well being middle, Oregon Health & Science University stays engaged with state and native public well being authorities and well being programs throughout the metro space to coordinate a regional response to the COVID-19 pandemic. The purpose is to include the unfold of the virus, together with by way of using vaccines that first arrived at OHSU on Dec. 15, 2020.
Beginning within the earliest days of the pandemic, OHSU activated an emergency operations middle that tailored response plans already in place from earlier pandemic influenza outbreaks, and this group continues to fulfill.
OHSU has ready to deal with a surge of sufferers with COVID-19 whereas working proactively to include the unfold of the SARS-CoV-2 virus and shield our workforce.
Community COVID-19 vaccination websites
OHSU has dedicated its complete group to deploying COVID-19 vaccines, beginning with difficult-to-reach group members and underserved communities. The college has additionally engaged college students and trainees to vaccinate Oregonians.
After federal and state authorities really helpful two COVID vaccines for youngsters as younger as 6 months outdated in June 2022, OHSU organized appointment-only vaccination clinics for youthful kids at OHSU Doernbecher Children’s Hospital. OHSU Health additionally continues to supply vaccinations for people 12 years or older by appointment solely at varied OHSU Health pharmacies, and on a walk-in foundation for people 5 years or older by way of community-based vaccination occasions.
More details about OHSU vaccine providers and our on-line vaccination appointment reservation system is offered on the OHSU COVID-19 Vaccines web site.
The mass-vaccination clinics on the Portland International Airport, Red Economy Parking Lot and Oregon Convention Center closed June 19, 2021, after delivering greater than 800,000 vaccine doses from these two websites alone. OHSU’s final day managing the Portland Expo Center location was Jan. 14, 2022. OHSU additionally ran an indoor vaccination clinic on OHSU’s South Waterfront campus between Jan. 19 and April 14, 2022.
OHSU is dedicated to making sure all Oregonians have entry to COVID-19 testing and applicable well being care, notably folks of coloration and different people from communities hardest hit by COVID-19. Throughout the pandemic, OHSU supplied low-barrier drive-through testing that has tracked surges in case counts, at varied factors accommodating as many as 700 folks a day by way of websites in Hillsboro, the Oregon Convention Center and the Portland Expo Center.
Starting March 14, 2022, sufferers and group members can get free COVID-19 testing at OHSU speedy care clinics on its South Waterfront Campus and in Beaverton. Testing will likely be indoor and by appointment from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday by way of Friday. People could name OHSU’s Connected Care Center at 833-647-8222 to schedule.
Learn extra about different OHSU COVID-19 testing choices and sources.
- OHSU is following the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s suggestions to permit important perform well being care employees to return to work six days, reasonably than 10 days, after a COVID-19 an infection underneath the next circumstances: Staff have had gentle to average sickness and usually are not immunocompromised; and their signs are enhancing and they’re in any other case feeling nicely. This change displays contingency capability staffing requirements in place to handle group well being care wants and staffing challenges associated to COVID-19. Staff on this place will likely be required to put on N-95 masks.
- On Feb. 1, 2022, OHSU opened a Centralized Transportation Center. Staff is offered seven days per week to assist schedule transportation for sufferers transferring between buildings or discharging from the hospital and clinics. The middle permits OHSU to extra shortly make house for brand spanking new sufferers through the present surge in instances pushed by the omicron variant.
- OHSU manages an unprecedented surge of critically ailing sufferers from the delta variant starting in the summertime of 2021. Frontline well being care employees reiterate the significance of individuals getting vaccinated. “This is a preventable illness,” says Erin Boni, R.N., B.S.N., “This doesn’t have to happen to anyone anymore.”
- OHSU has established a Long COVID-19 Program to supply complete, coordinated take care of folks experiencing debilitating signs months after their an infection.
- OHSU has established a collection of steps to arrange sufferers who’ve recovered from COVID-19 for elective surgical procedure following their sickness. It’s believed to be the primary printed protocol laying out a COVID-era path ahead in American drugs.
- OHSU has carried out a “mask on” coverage for all sufferers, guests and employees contained in the hospital. All workers who work in affected person care areas obtain masks supplied by OHSU.
- OHSU’s analysis group got here collectively to launch an in-house COVID-19 testing lab on March 24, 2020. The lab is an instance of the numerous collaborations which have been taking place at OHSU and within the well being care group. In this case, members of the analysis group rallied to assist the medical group and testing in a drive to fight COVID-19. The lab’s capability significantly expanded in October 2020.
- In June 2021, OHSU acquired federal and state funding to dramatically increase the state’s potential to trace variants of concern throughout Oregon and Southwest Washington.
- OHSU’s Telemedicine Program presents a possibility for sufferers to seek the advice of with licensed clinicians by way of a phone or video connection from their house, limiting boundaries to well being care entry. The service has expanded exponentially in response to COVID-19.
- OHSU has supplied childcare lodging, together with a $7.5 million hardship stipend, to assist maintain its workforce through the pandemic.
- A coaching video OHSU developed to arrange its college students and employees to provide COVID-19 vaccines is now getting used to coach California paramedics and emergency medical technicians as that state ramps up its combat towards the pandemic.
- OHSU has instituted a wellness program designed to assist clinicians, workers and college students through the COVID-19 pandemic. One instance is a grant-funded program that paid native eating places to provide sizzling meals for high-impact frontline well being care employees following the vacations.
- OHSU is selling bodily distancing throughout the college, and consists of requiring non-critical perform workers to work remotely and minimizing the variety of folks gathered for in-person conferences by way of video and teleconferencing options.
Research and growth
- OHSU information scientist Peter Graven, Ph.D., has supplied weekly updates of projections for hospitalizations statewide, which can grow to be biweekly because the wave of infections generated by the omicron variant recedes. Beginning early within the pandemic, Graven modeled the projected unchecked unfold of the virus and started sharing these projections with state and native policymakers on the onset of the pandemic in Oregon in March of 2020. These projections helped inform Oregon’s “Stay Home, Save Lives” efforts to cut back the unfold of the virus and guarantee it does not exceed the capability of well being programs to deal with a surge of sufferers who required hospitalization.
- A laboratory research printed Dec. 16, 2021, means that breakthrough infections following vaccination generate “super immunity” to COVID-19. Follow-up analysis printed on Jan. 25, 2022, reveals equally strong immunity from an infection adopted by vaccination. OHSU analysis printed on-line on April 29, 2021, suggests that folks beforehand contaminated with the novel coronavirus stand to get a a lot better good thing about safety towards new variants in the event that they’re vaccinated. An earlier laboratory research highlighted the significance of stopping the unfold of virus variants by way of vaccination. And one other laboratory research exhibits telltale indicators of immunity towards new variants within the blood of individuals 11 months after an infection. On July 21, 2021, OHSU scientists co-authored a research printed within the Journal of the American Medical Association linking age to immune response measured in blood serum.
- An OHSU research goals to raised perceive the immune system’s response to COVID-19 throughout and after being pregnant.
- OHSU scientists and physicians are engaged in a multipronged effort throughout the establishment to enhance scientific understanding of the novel coronavirus and produce the pandemic underneath management.
- In November 2020, OHSU introduced a partnership with the native nonprofit Self Enhancement Inc. on a pilot research that mixes wastewater monitoring with voluntary saliva-based testing of residents in 4 Portland neighborhoods. Preliminary outcomes are promising, and the venture has helped forge connections with traditionally underserved communities.
- An OHSU-led proof evaluate, printed in June 2020, finds that facial coverings seem to lower the danger of spreading respiratory diseases in group settings.
- OHSU information scientists are main a nationwide collaboration of clinicians, informaticians and different biomedical researchers who intention to show information from lots of of 1000’s of medical information from coronavirus sufferers into efficient remedies and predictive analytical instruments that might assist reduce or finish the pandemic.
- OHSU has joined with different universities and tutorial medical facilities throughout the nation to ease licensing necessities to expedite promising new applied sciences to diagnose, deal with and stop COVID-19.
- OHSU presents free screening for COVID-19 amongst college students in Okay-12 colleges throughout three areas of the state, in a partnership with the Oregon Health Authority and Oregon Department of Education.
- OHSU dramatically elevated the area’s potential to trace virus variants, by way of new investments by federal and state public well being authorities. The initiative harnesses the college’s medical and analysis experience.
- In the struggle towards COVID-19, OHSU raced to vaccinate as many Oregonians as shortly as potential. Over time, the purpose is to drive the virus into submission by chopping off its potential to unfold.
- On Dec. 3, 2020, Gov. Kate Brown appointed Louis Picker, M.D., as one among two Oregon scientists to independently evaluate the security and efficacy of COVID-19 vaccines that obtain emergency use authorization from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. On Dec. 11, 2020, Brown appointed OHSU Chief Administration Officer Connie Seeley as a particular advisor for vaccine implementation in Oregon.
- OHSU established a Connected Care Center, accessible by cellphone to folks all through Oregon who search perception in regards to the care of signs associated to COVID-19. The cellphone quantity is 833-647-8222.
- OHSU President Danny Jacobs, M.D., M.P.H., FACS, joined different nationwide well being care leaders in elevating alarm about disparities in well being outcomes alongside racial and socioeconomic traces amongst these tormented by COVID-19. OHSU researchers confirmed the disproportionate affect of the virus on Black and Hispanic populations with an proof evaluate printed Dec. 1, 2020.